We Provide Training in Martial Arts Near Wollongong
The moment someone utters the words martial arts, your mind immediately takes you back to cheap 90s action movies that had an English dub over the original language for the majority of people to understand the dialogue – regardless of how rare dialogues were. Contrary to popular belief, martial arts near Wollongong is an art and isn’t a means to re-enact violent scenes from movies of the past. This sport has been in existence for thousands of years and has remained popular with each generation ever since. Children from the age of three can learn martial arts right up to elderly people. The best place to start is with reputable, trustworthy instructors. Adapt Martial Arts & Boxing Academy welcomes
Benefits of Self-Defence Classes Near Wollongong
Martial arts is a suitable avenue to pursue if you want to learn about self-defence. Apart from assisting you in protecting yourself when in danger, there are several other benefits that you can enjoy:
- Despite what you may have heard about martial arts, it’s not about violence or hurting people. When some people use it incorrectly, it can lead to severe consequences, however, the true intention of the sport is to help defend yourself. If you’re ever faced with an attacker, having martial arts knowledge can enable you to disarm them without inflicting significant damage. Rendering an attacker useless is a wise way of dealing with the situation until you can call the authorities.
- Since most martial arts classes take place in groups, you immediately overcome any form of anxiety or stage fright. Regardless of your confidence level, when you attend this type of training, you will find an incredible boost in your self-worth. After you start the process of obtaining various belts, you will learn and develop new skills which will raise your confidence even higher.
- Life can get busy for everyone – children and adults. Dealing with work situations and school activities isn’t easy and inevitably leads to a build-up of stress. The advantage of attending self-defence training is that you have an opportunity to blow off some steam while learning crucial techniques. Instead of watching TV on the sofa, doing physical activity will re-energise you and help you destress from the day.
- Every year, people make resolutions to keep fit which they end up breaking because it can be too boring. Running on the treadmill after a long day at work or school is the last thing you want to do, but every day is a different type of workout with martial arts. Since this exercise is always exciting and different, you’ll always find it engaging and willing to attend the next class to see what new disciplines you can learn. As a result, you keep your body in shape while having fun. Furthermore, with quick bursts of energy and moderate workouts, you will increase your metabolism and endurance. When you opt for a slice of pizza at the end of the week, you won’t have to feel guilty because your body will be in the ideal condition to burn the carbohydrates.
- Whether you’re 13 or 40, your mind is impressionable. Whether you like it or not, your decisions stem from people and things you observe throughout your day. Since you’ll be working with instructors who care about your physical and mental wellbeing, it will have a positive influence on your life. Children can identify with their martial arts instructors as role models.
Tips Regarding Martial Arts for Beginners
Of all the martial arts, karate classes are certainly the most popular around the world. The word translates to ‘empty hands’, reinforcing the fact that it is a peaceful art. Whether you plan on starting beginners martial arts classes or you’ve recently started, we have some essential tips that you must follow.
- Before you commit to learning this craft or any martial art for that matter, you must understand that it’s about confidence, respect and peace. Karate’s philosophy suggests that there will always be bullies or criminals in the world. Since they’re after power, the best way to deal with the issue is by standing up to them and demonstrating discipline by not causing injury. Furthermore, it’s essential to understand how martial art lessons work before joining. Every group has a different dynamic with unique approaches by the lead teacher.
- One of the cornerstones of karate is respect. When you’re attending karate for kids, it’s wise to address your instructor as ‘Sir’, ‘Ma’am’ or ‘Sensei’. Apart from displaying respect to authority, martial arts is about respecting your colleagues and opponents. The element of respect also applies to adults taking martial arts classes.
- Before you immerse yourself in adult karate classes, you should always warm up your body by stretching. Performing this action has more benefits than you may assume. Since martial arts require a wide range of movement, all your muscle groups must be warm and ready for physical activity. Neglecting a warm-up can lead to serious injury, which you will regret. Bear in mind that injuries can still occur but stretching your muscles beforehand will do you more good than harm.
- Martial arts is a type of sport where your improvement is what matters. If you’ve got the hang of it, it shouldn’t stop you from reaching a new level. Prepare yourself to work extremely hard to achieve results. There isn’t such a thing as too much practice as the great Bruce Lee once said, “I fear not the man who has practised 10 000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practised one kick 10 000 times”.
Since karate is a calm sport that promotes peace, you can use meditation to calm the spirit before your class. Meditation is a skill that complements karate or any other martial art for that matter.
- Your journey in martial arts shouldn’t live within the walls of your local dojo. You can transfer discipline, respect, and knowledge to other areas of your life. You may find that your concentration levels are far better after attending your first few karate classes.
About Adapt Martial Arts & Boxing Academy
If you’ve decided to take up a martial arts membership with us, you’re doing yourself and your body a huge credit. We offer several packages to enjoy martial arts classes ranging from one per week to the Master’s package that allows you an unlimited number of lessons per week. Since it’s not a seasonal sport, we provide classes for 50 weeks a year, which means you have no excuse not to register and attend karate classes.
We understand that people’s lives are different, and there are several elements that you need to work around. For this reason, we start our lessons as early as 5AM for private lessons while taking on pre-schoolers from 4PM. Our various primary school classes range from 4:30PM to 6:30PM, and our teens and adults are with us from 6:30PM to 8PM. We know that you’re probably thinking twice about enrolling, which is why we’re offering you a free trial to experience the thrill of learning martial arts. Contact us, and we’ll arrange for you to join us at our next class.